Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Madness!

OK, OK, I know I told my family no one was getting knitted gifts this year, but then a week ago I found some supper cheap yarn, and some of it was this multi pink that was perfect for one of my little cousins (and it was only a dollar a ball!) and I was thinking it's been years since I gave them hats. Hats are really quick! And so the insanity began again.
I kept telling myself, I'll just see how fast I knit the first hat. If I don't get done it's no biggie, I'll just donate it, or wait until next year (ya right). I got the one hat done in about a week, and then Then I had my freak out. I felt guilty that my little cousins would for the first time in years not get anything knitted by me. So One hat is done and I do realize that with only two days until christmas there is no way I'm going to get two more hats done because the only cooking I've accomplished is the cookies (I do still have to ice them though).
Oh! speaking of the cookies! I have made.....
lemon
lavender
lavender lemon
sugar
stained glass
and gingerbread!







Yumm!
I do think the stained glass cookies are better for those who have a massive sweet tooth, are kids, or for hanging in the window. I ate one of them and I swear I could feel my teeth getting cavities!
I still have to make the veggies, veggie roast, cranberry sauce, and stuffing.
So the knitting dellema... I went out and bought super bulky yarn and made a fast hat. I am a slow knitter and it only took me about 3 hours (and I was watching TV which makes it take a little longer but at least I'm amused. It should fit my 10 year old cousin, but does stretch to fit me. Here is what I used:

Lion brand wool-ease thick and quick
US size 11 dp's (I'm also a bit of a loose knitter)
guage in k2 p2 10 sts=3 1/2 inches unstretched or a little over 5 stretched
Cast on 40 sts
k2 p2 for 4 rows
on 5th row k the second stitch then the first stitch (creating a simple cable) p2 for entire row
6th & 7th row k2 p2*
then repeat 5th row, and continue repeating 5-7 until you have about 6 inches ending on row 5.
Then k2 p2tog* 30sts
next row k2 p1*
k the second stitch then the first stitch (creating a simple cable) p1*
k2 p1*
then ssk p1* 20sts
k1 p1*
ssk* 10 sts
ssk* 5sts
break yarn thread through last sts and pull knot and weave in ends.


Oh, I don't know if it makes any difference but I am a left handed eastern knitter so if the cables are difficult just do it however you do simple cables.

So what else have I been doing? I've been knitting a stuffed cat, and made a cozy for my shifter on my truck. You may be asking why on earth would I knit a cozy for my shifter??? Well, let me explain. The center button that shows where the gears are is loose and it rattles, which is annoying so I kept taping it with whatever I had on hand (scotch tape, a band-aid, etc.), and it wouldn't last for long, it would wear out, and then I'd have tape goo on my hand whenever I shifted gears which is also annoying. So this time I used packing tape which lasts longer, but also has scratchy edges.



So I knitted a cozy so I don't have to feel the sharp edges, and when it also finally wears out, no sticky goo on my hand. I think I need to rip it out and reknit it smaller (I didn't measure anything and was totally guessing on size), but it will have to wait a little while. Here are some pics....



This is the cat, I know it doesn't look like one yet, but eventually when it is done it will. Oh, I changed the pattern a little because I will be felting it, but I got it from knitty here.

No comments: